Sunday, November 6, 2016

Mommi-Tasking - Moms Can Do Five Things at Once

Multi-tasking is an art form. It's the skill that allows someone to do multiple things at once, prioritize them and keep it all straight in their head. And moms are incredible at it.

Can you imagine if moms were single-taskers? "I'm sorry, Tyler, I can't help you with your homework until dinner is made. And I can't start making dinner because I need to answer a text message in regards to your sister's dance rehearsal tonight. Oh wait, I can't help with homework until after I've picked up my blouses for work from the dry cleaners."

Shift the above scenario to real life and my story goes like this, I'd make dinner while helping my son with his homework, text about dance and do laundry between spelling words. I'd pick up the dry cleaning on my way to get my daughter from rehearsal and bring my son along in case he still needed my help with his homework.This doesn't include the do list I'm sorting through in my head that covers the things that need to be taken care of for the next few days.

Yes, I have a week-long dry erase calendar on the fridge with event reminders and a calendar on my phone that I constantly update. I do trust that my kids will take care of their to-do lists written in their school agendas without my help, but pilots know how to fly their plane, yet without the air traffic controllers the planes would end up in a very different place than intended, and possibly on fire.

Moms also find a way to get back on task quickly after interruptions. "Mom, I need... Mom, where is... Mom, can I have...?  Getting from A to B often requires jumping over C, chasing around D, and finding E doing something they shouldn't be doing, all before getting to B. In fact, a work environment is a far quieter place to stay focused than a home environment.

I fit very well in a work environment that is fast-paced and requires me to handle multiple projects at once. I do it every day at home and at work. I'd be bored if I were only given one task. It'd be like driving a Ferrari and keeping it in second gear. Moms are used to having responsibilities and high expectations placed on them. They can apply their multi-tasking skill set to a job easily, after-all they take mommi-tasking very serious since it is used to keep their kids safe, healthy, and on the right track.

No comments:

Post a Comment